Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Meal Time

The poster is crooked, men with smiling teeth slanting down, towards the brown carpet that was once pink.

One day, you told me the bread had grown moldy, and I was silent, waiting for you to force my lips against the brown crusts before you tossed them into a pile of refuse.

"Our love has grown moldy, like the moon."

"The moon can't grow moldy" you said, your fingers reaching for the nape of my neck.

"It's a metaphor", I replied, trying not to feel the gray fuzz that grazed my lips as the loaf of bread came towards me.

"How does it taste?" you asked.

"It tastes of you", I said.

Your tears were not beautiful: They were salt-rivers flooding red cheeks, and I thought you looked raw, like a peice of meat.

The crooked poster's women are not smiling. They hold hands, waiting.

What are they waiting for?

No comments:

Post a Comment