Monday, December 5, 2011

Rivkah speaks to Yitzhak

Genesisl 25:21: כא וַיֶּעְתַּר יִצְחָק לַיהוָה לְנֹכַח אִשְׁתּוֹ, כִּי עֲקָרָה הִוא; וַיֵּעָתֶר לוֹ יְהוָה, וַתַּהַר רִבְקָה אִשְׁתּוֹ. And Isaac entreated the LORD for his wife, because she was barren; and the LORD let Himself be entreated of him, and Rebekah his wife conceived.

The wind is cold between us; flames' shadows
paint the wall, and I remember the red when I bound you to my thighs.

Your arms were soft, silk chords to bind me to our bed.
Your lips tasted of cinnamon, on the night when I bound you to my thighs.

You tasted the dust, when he bound you to a bed of shadows -
I could taste the dirt on the skin around your neck, when I bound you to my thighs -

You told me I tasted of persimmons -hard and cold, like this wind
that hovers between us, now that I no longer bind you to my thighs.

Your lips kiss words I do not understand - you tell me you feel His presence,
hovering like a lover, waiting to bind you to His mercy -

Years ago, you kissed dust as your father's arms bound you
like the silk of our bed, and there He bound you to His mercy -

your first lover, an imageless God who binds me to you,
even now, when you have become unbound from my thighs,

and my body grows drier than these dratted desert breezes,
because you have become unbound from my thighs.

No comments:

Post a Comment