Wednesday, February 15, 2012

G-Spot: A Play In one Act

Scene 1: A woman sits at a table, drinking coffee and reading a book. A man walks up to her, carrying a latte and a newspaper.

M: May I join you?
W: That depends. Why would you like to join me?
M: Because you know how to enjoy your coffee.

Beat.

And women who know how to enjoy their coffee, know how to enjoy their sex.

Beat.

W: That’s an interesting theory. Do you have any proof for it?
M: No, only anecdotal evidence.
W: Well I don’t mind if you sit, as long as you realize I’m not interested in being part of any experiments.

W picks up her book and studies it furiously, refusing to look at M. Clearly, she is not really reading. M sips his coffee leisurely, glancing over his paper.

M: I see what this is about.

W ignores him.

M: You’ve never had an orgasm.
W: Excuse me?
M: You’ve never had an orgasm.

W goes back to reading her book.

W: What makes you say that?
M: Excuse me?
W: What makes you say that I’ve never had an orgasm?
M: I can see it in your eyes!
W: Bullshit!
M: Well, have you ever had an orgasm?
W: That is none of your business!

W gets up to leave.

M: Wait! Let me buy you another cup of coffee?
W: Why?
M: So I can convince you of my theory.
W: You realize the only way you can prove your theory is by taking me home and giving me an orgasm, right?
M: I’d be more than happy to.
W: I’m not interested in using my body for the sake of science.

W walks out, off-stage.

Scene 2: Next day, same time, same place, same setup.

M: Mind if I join you?
W: Well, if it isn’t Mr. Orgasm.
M: I’ve always wanted that nickname.

W (laughs): I bet you have.

M sits down.

W: I didn’t give you an answer yet.
M: Well, if you want me to go, you’ll have to convince me to leave.
W: Ok, I’m an axe-murderer.
M: Please. I expect something a little creative, at least.
W: I’ve given you no reason for expectations.
M: I’m a man. It’s in our nature to hope.
W: Because you’re kicked down by women?

M shrugs. Picks up his paper and begins to read.

W: I take men, tie them to my bed, fuck them like crazy, whip them to death, and bury their bodies in the Hudson river.
M: We all have to die someday.
W: Are you telling me you’re not afraid of death?
M (shrugs): I mean, I’m not exactly looking forward to the thing, but as far as deaths go, the one you mentioned sounded kind of awesome. Anyhow, why worry about the inevitable, you know? M goes back to reading his paper.
W: Have you ever lost anyone close to you?

M looks up.

W: Well I have, and it was – awful. I don’t see how anyone can – I mean, the thought that all of this, our lives, you know, our bodies – that one day it will all be these little molecules of dirt being turned into fertilizer for trees in Centra Park so that squirrels can get their pine-nuts – how can you not be depressed when you think about it?
M: I just don’t think about it.

Beat.

M: Besides, I like squirrels. It’s nice to think that my body will be giving back – and who knows, maybe that squirrel will eat the pine nut and shit on my enemy’s leg or something, when he’s going for a walk with his girlfriend.

W (laughs): Now there’s a happy thought.
M: Lechaim.

They clink coffee glasses. Then each one goes back to reading their book/newspaper, looking at each other out of the corner of their eyes.

Scene 3: Same setup.

M: Can I join you?
W: Of course.

Beat.

W: I realized I lost the argument yesterday.
M: What?
W: I forgot to convince you to leave.

Beat.

W: I can’t stand losing arguments, so I made a pre-emptive list of reasons you should not sit with me:
  1. I’m competitive.
  2. I’ve never had an orgasm.
  3. I’m depressed, and depressing.
  4. I have a scar on my right thigh, from a tree-climbing accident, and it’s really ugly.


Beat.


M: Is that all?

W: Well I could go on, if you want.

M: Just out of curiosity, how many reasons do you have listed?

W: 25.

M laughs. M: OK, Well, first of all, I am sure that your right thigh is not ugly.

W: How do you know?

M: You realize the only way to prove it to me would be to show me your thighs, right?

W: Thigh.

M: Excuse me?

W: Well, I’d only have to show you my right thigh – to prove it, I mean.

M: How big is this scar anyway? I bet its so tiny, no one but you can see it.

W: Try me.

M: Excuse me?

W lifts up her skirt, quickly, then puts it down again.

M: Whoa.


Beat.


M: That is a beautiful thigh.


W laughs.


M: No, I’m serious – that’s just –


He takes his hand and starts stroking her thigh, above her skirt. She lets him do so for a minute, then pushes his hand away.


W: You still haven’t disproven my other points.

M: Well, one is obviously true. Three is clearly not, and two is easily remediable.


They look into each other’s eyes. She kisses him.


W: Come back here and convince me tomorrow.


She exits.


Scene 4: Same setting.


M: May I join you?


He sits down, without waiting for an answer.


M: I’m not going to convince you of anything. If you want to sleep with me, then sleep with me. If you don’t, you don’t. But I will tell you one thing: I like you. You’re smart and your beautiful (W smirks) – yes, I know that’s cliché! But you know what? It’s true! And I adore your right thigh!


Beat. W giggles.


M (in a harsh whisper): But if you don’t think those are good enough reasons to come home with me, then I’m sick of spending 3.99 on these lattes.

W: Yeah; they taste like shit, don’t they?


They both laugh.


W: Well, shall we?


They throw their cups out on their way out.


W: You still haven’t convinced me that it should be your apartment and not mine, you know.

M: Can I convince you on the subway?

No comments:

Post a Comment