Monday, December 3, 2012

Note on My Jeremiah Project (My religiosity peeks through)

Much of my Jeremiah writing is erotic, but I do not consider it erotica. What is the difference? The difference is that erotic writing uses erotic imagery as a means, whereas erotica views the erotic as an end.

As a religious Jew, I personally would feel uncomfortable using holy texts as a platform for erotica. (Other religious Jews may feel differently, and I respect that.)

 What I do in my project, is read the text, focusing on the images and feelings they arouse in me, sometimes trying to get my story to match what I feel is the "message" of the story, sometimes giving myself more freedom.

I believe God meant for us to live our lives to the fullest, to maximize our potential - including our creative potential. I also believe that the texts handed down from our forefathers were meant to serve not only as moral guides, but also as texts from which we can draw inspiration for the everyday fabric of our lives and our culture, including the arts.

I am writing this because recently I have encountered some misunderstandings about the purpose of my writing, so I wanted to clarify.

I wish for my writing to be a tool that helps me to grow closer to God, and if through it, I manage to bring a reader a moment of beauty, passion, or inspiration, then I have been truly blessed by God.

Because emotions come from us, but it is God who gives us the tools to express them.

No comments:

Post a Comment