Tuesday, January 1, 2013

31

I had a lot of trouble writing something for Jeremiah 31. I wound up reading it a few times, and then writing something later, as opposed to my general "read then write immediately" method. This is a short exercise - I tried to write a fourteen line poem based on the theme of the chapter, using some of the chapter's imagery (grain, vineyards, water, sword-shards). I will not say it's something I've written I'm most proud of, but I think sometimes in life it's important to keep going, even when the "going" is not "going" the way that you'd like - which in this case means publishing this exercise and God willing moving on to 32 sometime this week.

Jeremiah 31

 Sword-shards weaved between your tresses
 my fingers on your breasts, your hands on the plough:
 When will we drink from this vineyard?
 When will you show me how?
 You guide me on pathways through water,
dragging my feet through the waves:
 When will we reach the bedroom,
where we gather the grain that we've reaped,
 and why are your lips on my shoulder,
 there's work to be done on the ground.
 You chiseled a covenant on my breasts,
and whispered of waves on the sea.
I wait like a sheaf in this corner,
for you to rescue me.

No comments:

Post a Comment