Monday, October 17, 2011

Jeremiah 8

Flowers are ephemeral.

A scholar told this to a little prince, on a planet that will remain unmarked by the astronomer's lens, as your hands will remain unmarked by my thighs.

You wilted before I could smell the incense of your breasts, or feel the softness of your petals, before I could kiss your lips that always seemed shaped like bell-flowers - dainty and unafraid.

It was I who feared the breaths that came between us, like a shadow, until there was only sunlight, and the stillness of your body.

I have forgotten how to mourn - they tried to teach me once, in kindergarten. They told me I was meant to cry, but my eyes have grown drier than the deserts in which we planned hikes we will never take.

My mother tells me that I need "closure", but how does one close something that was never opened; the bud did not become a flower, and slowly you morphed into corny metaphors.

Have I morphed into a man?

Have I grown thorns?


No comments:

Post a Comment