Thursday, January 27, 2011

Eve - Our foremother

I have always been fascinated by the story of the Garden of Eden - and specifically, by an exegisis by Rashi, a scholar from the Middle Ages, that says that the serpent sexually desired Eve, after seeing her have sex with Adam, and this desire precipitated the serpent's enticement of Eve to eat from the Fruit of Knowledge - a word related to sexuality in Hebrew, since the word "daat" connotes knowledge, sex, and consent.

I am going to be uploading a few poems I have written as imaginations of Rashi's exegesis - some of them I wrote at the suggestion of a creative writing teacher, who proposed writing mini-poems from various perspectives.

I generally plan on archiving some of my work through this blog, especially during periods such as now, when I am feeling generally unproductive and uninspired. On a more ontological* level, however, I am troubled by this extended lack of inspiration - could it be I am now living a life capable of inspiring me - and if so, how do I go about changing it, short of chopping off my hair and moving to a hippie commune?

* Do I actually know what ontological means?

No comments:

Post a Comment