Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Jeremiah: Chapter 3. Free-Writing.

Your eyes sliced into me like diamonds,
the pure carbon that is whiter than your teeth,
which have become stained from tea and sugar,
imported from countries I can not name,
paid for by men whose footsteps I hear at night;
I measure time by the cadences of their bare feet,
by the rythms of the oohs and ahs coming from your tent,
by the camels I hear trotting away in the morning.

Sammarra is to stay awake all night
but it is also the swiftness of a camel,
and it is this swiftness I listen for
as I lay awake, looking for the camel
that will bear me away from you,
from your thighs that are two pillars
holding up the palace of a life that refuses to crumble,
of walls I can not tear down,
even though I have let my hair grow long like Samson's -
you stroke it now, sometimes at night, when my hands rest
on the curve in between your thighs and your breasts.

Your laughter is worth more to me than diamonds,
even when you are laughing at my tears,
"Men pee rivers", you say, "but why are you peeing out of your eyes?".

I did not marry you for your sense of humor:
I remind myself of this, on those nights when I stroke the camel's fur,
feel its brown breath against my cheek, finger its rope,
and whisper that I will come back tomorrow,
that the wind will bear us both away on the wings of eagles,
knowing that in a few minutes I will shut my eyes to the sound of your laughter
rolling over the belly of a man I can not name,
that I will picture you naked, and know that tomorrow I will lie here again,
pondering your eyes that slice me like diamonds -
pure carbon that is whiter than your teeth,
which have become stained from tea and sugar,
imported from countries I can not name,
paid for by men whose footsteps I hear at night;
I measure time by the cadences of their bare feet.

http://www.mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt1103.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment