Monday, August 22, 2011

Meta-ness Once More: I Feel Positively Post-Modern

Aside from the cliched and pretensious heading, written by a lady who can not spell "pretensious", I have a few notes on my poem from the previous post:

1. This poem was inspired by a moment in Central Park in which I did in fact dissect a man, but not like a frog. I was merely admiring his behind.

2. The "bald"/mold rhyme is slant, but in my head it was a perfect rhyme, because I actually pronounce the word "bald" like "bold", in order to overcome my natural inclination to pronounce it bau-wd, which is how it sounds in a Brazilian accent (au dipthong + ls are pronounced like ws if they follow vowels). I actually had to go to speech therapy at age six to acquire an American accent. I guess its interesting, the way someone's pronunciation can influence their poetry - that's why a lot of Middle English poetry doesn't work unless you know how to read it - accents and pronunciations have changed. It's why we have words like "winged", with little accents over the e.

3. I have also been reading a bit of Edna St. Vincent Millay recently. Her poetry is a bit more structured and rhyme-y, and I feel that crept into this poem. Also, currently (re-)reading the book "Western Wind" - the only poetry textbook I ever liked.

I am watching images of battles in Libya on TV as I write this. I have gone from feeling post-modern to feeling surreal within the span of one blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment