Monday, April 1, 2013

I seem to be constantly working on endings

Ok, so in between my oxygen paranoia (and general obsession with the pre-frontal cortex), I manage to drive myself crazy about tiny edits - and sometimes I wonder if I publish too early, since it often happens that, when I read over a blogpost, I see little things jumping out at me, that need fixing. The previous piece I published was edited before posting, but now I see things about it that nag at me - yet because it's already been posted, simply editing those things seems like a travesty. I feel this irrational need to let the previous post stand - perhaps because I'm not sure whether the current edits that are stuck in my mind are an improvement, or simply a meaningful difference.

Yet here goes an alternative version of (what should probably be) the second paragraph:

Sex cannot be defined, because it occurs in the fourth dimension of the universe, and our dictionaries only cover the three dimensions charted by philosophers: They say that love is lust, divided over time, multiplied by a factor of unwashed dishes - or some such nonsense, I don't remember, really - it's hard to think when your hands are between my thighs. The night air bites me; I am filled by your kisses, and I close my eyes.

Ok, reading this over, I think my edits are a bit of an improvement. How do you know when something is "ready"? A question not just about blogposts, but about life, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment