Saturday, March 9, 2013

Conversation

"Sometimes I read my writing, just to convince myself that I've loved."
"Would it help if I wrote you a love poem?"
She laughed. "Thanks, but it's about my ability to love not about -"
"Not about your ability to be loved? Isn't that just as important?"
She shrugged and took a sip of beer.
"You know, I think that's the first time a girl ever turned down an offer for me to write her a poem."
She laughed. "Do you usually ask?"
"Of course. I only believe in love-poems with consent."
They both took a few sips. He tried not to stare at her breasts.
"Do you ever wonder if how it makes sex different, for men and for women, that we have to let our men inside us? Sorry - I spend way too much time thinking about sex. I'm like a guy in that way - that's why I have mostly male friends, I think."
He thinks, "No, you have mostly male friends because you wear lowcut shirts", but he doesn't say anything.
They continue drinking in silence.

No comments:

Post a Comment